Monday, February 18, 2013

Oatmeal Smoothies

A while back we bought a Blendtec blender. So began my quest to find the truly great recipes for my amazing blender. What we use it for mainly is smoothies, however, I have made soup before. But, for the purpose of this post, I will be discussing the delightfully tasty Oatmeal Smoothie.

Photo from Pinterest

I've made these types of smoothies a few different times and find them to be quite satisfying, filling and tasty. My son enjoys them too, which is an added bonus! I was a bit skeptical about how grainy the smoothie may be in consistency, but it actually wasn't grainy at all. You just need to make sure it's blended very well. Then, you'll just end up with a delightful oatmeal taste without the graininess.


This is actually the first time I've tried this specific recipe, but I believe I would make it again. It was yummy.


The other recipe that I have tried from Pinterest (but doesn't have a blog link) calls for: 1 cup ice, 1/2 cup frozen raspberries or strawberries, 1/2 cup plain lowfat yogurt, 1 banana, 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats, 1 tablespoon honey.

This recipe was also VERY good. I generally added both raspberries and strawberries and because my fruit is usually frozen, I rarely add any ice. My son doesn't like it too-too cold. You, obviously, don't have to have a Blendtec blender to make this smoothie; I'm fairly certain any blender will do. However, my best advice is to always put in enough liquid to cover the blades of the blender you are using. It'll run a whole lot smoother that way, from my experience. 

Anyway, the end result is a tasty, nourishing, filling drink that my son and I both enjoy. My husband has yet to try it, so I can't speak for him. But, as for the rest of my family - our tastebuds and our tummies have been thanking us.

No comments:

Post a Comment