The candle blazed with a flame for a grand 15 seconds...or less...but, it did light...after many, many, many tries.
But, being the tenacious girl that I am, I did not give up so easily. I decided to try peeling the orange with the method intimatewedding's blog called for, which was far easier to peel, actually. Then, I tried it again.
And, TA-DA! It lit! I had a candle!
The website boasted that you could have a candle that would burn for a few hours. I timed mine. It stayed lit for 30 minutes. Would it have stayed lit for longer if I had added more oil? Quite possibly, but I wouldn't put in the effort to add more oil every 30 minutes - that would get expensive, using olive oil!
Intimatewedding's blog suggested using these as center pieces at weddings or garden parties and the like. I can't imagine doing this as it still took multiple tries to get my orange candle lit and it only stayed lit for a half hour. This would be far too much work for a wedding, in my opinion.
I also expected that this would give off a nice citrusy aroma in my home, but it actually had no smell - which some people may like better. I think I'd pass on doing this again, other than for experimental purposes.
However, maybe you'd have better luck! If you try it and it works for you, I'd love to hear how you made it work.