Thursday, January 3, 2013

Chicken Artichoke Pesto Calzones

The other night, I made a TERRIFIC dinner. It was one dish, and it took quite a bit of time, but it was DELISH! The chicken, artichoke, pesto calzone taken from http://www.annies-eats.com/2009/05/04/chicken-artichoke-pesto-calzones/'s blog is REALLY good. I, of course, got it off of Pinterest. I had made this once before, but changed it up just a bit this time...

Annie's Eats blog calls for a dough recipe that they had written, and I can't recommend it because I didn't try it - but, I did make my own pizza dough. I just used a good ol' Betty Crocker recipe for pizza dough that I've used for years and have always had good results with. Her blog also has a recipe for making your own pesto. Alas, I was too lazy to do this as well (last night, anyway)- so I didn't. I made my Betty Crocker dough, and while it was sitting for a half hour, I cooked the chicken up. 

After the dough was done sitting for the half hour that is required, I split it into 6 equal parts, rolled each out in a circle (as much as I could make a circle) and then added my ingredients. (See the blog above for specific ingredients and such)



Doesn't that look tasty? Just wait, it's about to look even better!

After I had them all made up, I brushed them with olive oil, put them on my pre-heated pizza stone (though you could just use a pan if that's all you have - don't preheat it...) and stuck them in the oven. 




Another thing that I did differently than Annie's Eats - I put mine in a preheated oven at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes. She has hers in at 500 degrees for 13-15 minutes. I did do this last time I made these, and if you like a harder crust and a tender inside - definitely the way to go. But, I like a softer crust and a tender inside - so I did it according to my B.C. recipe book instead. And, they were AMAZING!! 


My husband thinks they could've used a little salt and pepper, and next time I make them, I will probably put some salt and pepper on the chicken as I'm cooking them, but I really didn't feel like it was necessary. The artichoke hearts added enough saltiness for me. However, adding the sun dried tomatoes was a fantastic decision. I highly recommend that. 

So, yay or nay? I say yay - with some modifications. Super yummy! And I will definitely make this again! 






1 comment:

  1. These look tasty. I don't know why I have never tried calzones.

    ReplyDelete