Friday, March 21, 2014

Paleo Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes & Frosting

On my quest to figure out a healthy diet, I have run into a giant hurdle for me: sweets. I may be semi-addicted to sweets. No joke. I love sweets. Homemade desserts, especially, but just sweets in general. It doesn't matter what kind. Unless it has nuts, then I can easily avoid it.

Anyway, I discovered this fantastic, fairly healthy (dare I say actually healthy) recipe for dessert. Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes.

Photo from Pinterest
If you check out the link above, you will find a bazillion amazing recipes. I have tried a handful of them and have yet to be disappointed. Oh-so good.

Anyway, a lot of times, when you are eating more natural foods, you have to buy all kinds of fancy ingredients. Thankfully, this recipe did not call for anything too fancy schmancy (except coconut oil and almond flour).

As I mixed up my ingredients, I got more and more excited to eat the delectable cupcakes.


I didn't have any fresh strawberries, so I just took out a bag of frozen strawberries, defrosted them in the microwave and cut them up.


After it was all mixed, I was ready to bake them up. If you haven't seen this tip before, I'll tell you again - I use my cookie scoop to scoop my cupcake batter for greater ease. As you can see, the recipe made 18 full size cupcakes for me. Because I put in two cupcake pans, I had to cook the cupcakes a little longer, but that was no big deal.


They came out looking a tad darker than I thought they should, but I think they were right on, because they tasted practically perfect (if you ask me).


Once the cupcakes came out of the oven, I worked on the frosting. Again, this process was really simple and took hardly anytime. The biggest problem I had was having my frosting set and not be all liquified because of adding the strawberry puree. I'd recommend being really sure that the stiff peaks have formed for your frosting before calling it good.


After all was said and done, I frosted my cupcakes and called it good. My cousin and her fiancee came over for the evening and between my family and the two of them, we had two cupcakes left. There was no real guilt in eating them either, because they really were pretty healthy. 

The leftovers were eaten the next day, however I did store them in the fridge so they'd stay good. They were still very good - a little bit more moist, but still very good. These were light, fluffy, delectable and definitely satisfying to my sweet tooth. 

There you have it, easy, tasty and not horribly bad for you! You should give it a try for yourself sometime. :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment