Monday, July 15, 2013

Crock Pot Teriyaki Chicken

One of my husband's favorite places to eat when I don't pack him a lunch for work is a local teriyaki place. A lot of those kinds of places are hit and miss for me, but this one is really good. If you haven't ever been to Love Love Teriyaki - you should. It's really tasty. Knowing my husband has a love of asian food, I decided to try my hand at it; in steps Crock Pot Teriyaki Chicken.

Photo from Pinterest
The recipe appeared easy enough, but knowing I didn't want to make a ginormous batch of Teriyaki Chicken, I reduced the recipe to 2 pieces of chicken rather than the 12 it recommended. Drastic, yes, but we still had leftover chicken even after just using 2 pieces. I also halved the rest of the recipe, of course, and all of that seemed to turn out just fine.

Ewww...raw chicken...
I know, a picture of raw chicken; nasty...but, I wanted you to see that the sauce when halved still made plenty but not an overabundance for the chicken.

Anyway, after it cooked the 4-5 hours specified, I put the chicken on a separate plate and dumped the liquid into a pot to make the actual teriyaki sauce.


Once that was completed, my chicken was shredded, rice cooked and I had my vegetables all cut up, dinner was ready. I put some asian cabbage that we had from our produce CSA box on the side after I cut it up, put a little ramen noodles (without the seasoning on there) and called it good.


It looked amazing!! I wish it had tasted as amazing as it looked. It wasn't bad by any means, but it was very bland. Very, very bland. The sauce didn't seem quite sweet and spicy enough to me. It may be better to try a different sauce next time. The chicken was a bit dry as well. I thought that might have been because I didn't make enough chicken, but I've made it with more before and I still remember it being pretty dry. Anyway, this wasn't a complete bust - it looked beautiful. And, really, it didn't taste awful. Would I make this again? Well, apparently after a year or so I tried once more...but it is now going on my "tried and not lied but not going to try again" Pinterest board. It just doesn't satisfy the way I'd like. At least it looked pretty...

No comments:

Post a Comment