Thursday, April 3, 2014

Baked Corn Chips

My husband has been on a guacamole kick recently. And, thankfully, he makes some pretty tasty guacamole. However, we ran out of tortilla chips the other day (the horror!!), so I improvised with a test I've been wanting to try for a very long time: making tortilla chips out of corn tortillas!

Photo from Pinterest
We bought a big bunch of produce from Bountiful Baskets recently, and purchased the guacamole and salsa package that went along with it. In that pack came pre-cut corn tortillas, so my job was easier than some because I didn't even have to cut them.


I put them on my baking tray - I love my stoneware - and then sprayed them with olive oil and sprinkled with salt. From there, I put it in the oven.


Having not read cindyriddle's blog very carefully, I didn't follow the directions as closely as I probably should have. My first batch of tortilla chips came out very limp, chewy and kind of stale-tasting.


I discovered the reasons behind this, though. There were two reasons:
1) I didn't let them cook long enough. Cindy's blog says cook time can vary, but you should let it bake until they are golden brown. As you can see, mine weren't.

2) Make sure they are not layered at all. The problem I have with this is how few chips you end up making at a time, but it's worth it.

The second batch I made was far tastier than the first. However, I think I may try one more time, baking even longer because they weren't all as crisp as I would've liked.

This was a fun experiment, and I'm looking forward to trying it with my husband's next batch of guacamole...pending we have the *real* bagged tortilla chips readily on hand in case these still don't turn out as we would've hoped.


No comments:

Post a Comment