Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Protein-Packed Peanut Butter Cups

What to make for dessert with friends? That was the question of the hour the other day as I prepared for an evening of fun with some dear friends. These friends (Jordan and Haley) are awesome and gracious and I figure if I was going to try something new, they'd be good friends to try it with, because they would be honest but not too disappointed if it was a total flop. (Or at least not show too much of their disappointment.) So, I tried out two new recipes. One was this recipe for healthy peanut butter cups.


These were very easy to make but they melt very fast if not kept in the fridge of freezer. I used my awesome Blendtec blender to mix these up really well.


And here's what it looked like after it was all mixed. 


From here, I poured the mixture into mini cupcake liners (I got them at Craft Warehouse on a whim). I liked using those way better than a full size cupcake liner because I was able to make more and I felt like these were rich enough that one mini was just the perfect little bite.


My little boy (the nudist) wanted to help make these and, although that would not work in a commercial kitchen and some people may not appreciate it, I knew my friends wouldn't mind. They have 4 boys. They get it. ;)


I didn't get a picture of them solid. But, they looked pretty much the same. Just solid. HA! My friend, Haley, said she was a little disappointed that there was no visible peanut butter in the middle...false advertising on my part. We've come to expect the peanut-buttery middle out of our peanut butter cups...and for some reason, I think that would've made them taste better. Once she got past her momentary disappointment, she said she liked them and would like them for an afternoon snack with a cup of coffee. They are a nice little pick-me-up.

I may be a little biased to the totally unhealthy, totally unnatural Reeses Peanut Butter Cups, so this more natural, more healthy option wasn't quite my cup of tea. But, they weren't bad. I'm going to try another recipe using honey instead of stevia next time and see if I like it better. But, for now, I'd say these are pretty good, as long as you know what to expect. They were worth a try and a decent success, I'd say.

No comments:

Post a Comment