Monday, September 2, 2013

Strawberry-Peach Crisp

One of my favorite past-times this summer has been picking produce. I love berry picking, tomato picking, peach picking, green bean picking...if I can pick it - and eat it - I have been enjoying doing so. Recently, my son, husband and I went out peach picking. We picked a bunch of peaches so we could freeze them for smoothies. By the way, if you haven't seen it yet - check out my past post about freezing produce - I used this method for freezing my peaches and it's worked brilliantly.

Our picked peaches
 I didn't want to freeze all our peaches though, so I decided to use some of them to make a crisp. I like crisps better than cobblers, although I always get the names mixed up and just kinda use them interchangeably. In case you didn't know, a crisp has more of an oatmeal-type topping while a cobbler has more of a dough-type topping. (The more you know...) Anyway,  in steps a recipe discovered via Pinterest, strawberry-peach crisp


Photo from Pinterest
Thankfully, we also had a few strawberries from our weekly CSA box, so I used those to make this tasty treat. This was incredibly easy to make, although I don't believe I used quite enough strawberries, it still worked out nicely. 


So yummy looking already!
Doesn't that look good? Oh yes, my friends...it was. Indeed, it was.

Ready to go in the oven
It didn't look as appetizing once the top layer was put on. It just looked dry and crumbly...and it continued to look pretty much the same as it does in the above picture when I took it out of the oven. That was slightly disappointing considering the beautiful, mouth-watering picture that was on Pinterest. Maybe I didn't have enough of the innards? I'm not sure...I think it was because the top was much thicker than the filling, but, as you can see, after I put it in a bowl and mixed it a little bit, it looked pretty tasty.


At first I thought this recipe was so healthy because it called for whole wheat flour...that's gotta mean it's healthy, right?? Notsomuch. Maybe if there wasn't any butter and such, but it was still a healthier alternative to some other things that I have eaten. And it did taste delightful. 

And adding a dollop of real whipped cream on top made this dish into a masterpiece. Mmmm. My mom and I both really liked it. My son liked the whipped cream. My husband isn't much into pies or sweets with fruit in it (unless it's apple) so he wasn't as crazy about it. But, if you like crisps, if you like fruit, I think you will like this. I shared it with some friends (there was no way I should - notice I said 'should' and not 'could' - eat that much just between me and my mom.) and my friends really enjoyed it too....or so they say. :) I'd recommend this dish, for sure. Give it a try, but maybe add in a few extra peaches and strawberries to make for a more delectable looking dish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment