Monday, May 26, 2014

Bread Pudding

I know, I know. This blog is really becoming more about desserts that I've been experimenting with than anything else, but there's light at the end of that tunnel - my next post will have to do with cleaning. So, anticipate that and be grateful for the dessert post that I'm about to share. ;) You can check out this recipe here.

Photo from all recipes.com
This is a mother's day post as well...a few weeks late. My mom is one of my very favorite people. She is thoughtful, honest, real, private, an amazing secret-keeper, humble, loyal, loving, kind, considerate, dependable, selfless and a plethora of other good descriptive words that could fill up a single-spaced, 18-page essay. She is that awesome.
Here's my awesome mom.
For the last 3 years or so, my sister, Becca, and I have been making my mom an extravagant Mother's Day lunch. We try to make her something fun, fancy, tasty, different-than-the-norm, and something we know she would enjoy. This year's meal was tender, juicy steaks (per her request), bacon wrapped asparagus, twice baked potatoes, rolls, sautéed mushrooms and bread pudding.

One of my mom's favorite desserts is good bread pudding, but she rarely gets to enjoy it for a number of reasons: 1) it's never as enjoyable when you make it yourself, 2) none of her family enjoys it quite as much as she does so we don't make it often, 3) my mom is giving and considerate and always putting her children's needs (and wants) before her own, meaning bread pudding isn't the top dessert choice.  So, bread pudding won. Two years in a row, in fact.

The recipe is really good, although a bit heavy on the liquid. If not for that, this is amazing. Next time, I will either add more bread or cut the liquid by at least a quarter. I did not put in raisins this time. (I did the first time). We all like it better without the raisins.  Here's a picture of it pre-cooked.


After it was baked, it was still quite runny unless you got one of the slightly crisped edges which were absolutely wonderful. Here is a picture of it post-baked. Still a little too runny...


It truly was quite good. My mom liked it, which is what was most important to us. I would recommend reading the comments on allrecipes.com. I did that the first time around and didn't end up with it being so runny. So, check those out. People have lots of ideas, suggestions and tips to get it just the way you want it. Either way, this was delightful. I didn't have any whipped cream, so the picture below looks a little boring and...wet, but it was quite tasty.


There you have it, a delightful dessert that my sister and I were able to spoil my mom with. And with that, I'd just like to say, Happy (belated) Mother's Day to the best mom a girl could ask for. Thank you for raising me in a Christ-filled environment, for loving me, being there for me (and my husband and kids), showing me how to be a good mom and wife and for just being my amazing mama. You are one of my best friends and I love you. I love you enough to make you bread pudding. That's saying something. ;)

Mom, Becca (my mother's day cooking buddy) and me

No comments:

Post a Comment