Thursday, December 12, 2013

DIY Christmas Card Hanger

Wow. It's been a while since I've actually written a post. I knew, once I was pregnant, I was going to be taking a short break from my blog, so I went to work adding some posts before baby got here. Baby is now here and she is absolutely perfect. I love her very much. Thankfully, brother is quite smitten with her as well. What a blessing that is!

Back to my blog. Last year, I wanted to find a creative way to hang my Christmas cards that wasn't just taping them to a wall. Because, let's face it, that's really not creative at all. So, I went to Pinterest, as always. I couldn't find the exact pin that I took the idea from, but I found a similar idea today so you can check it out. To check out the blog, click here.
Photo from Pinterest
This was very simple to make, and even more simple because I used my Silhouette Cameo to do so. However, it should be fairly easy even without the fancy cutting machine.

I started by painting a piece of wood red. I didn't actually want the sign to be red, but wanted it to have red highlights in it. To complete that, after the red paint had dried, I painted over it with black paint. Once the black paint was dry, I used a piece of sandpaper and sanded the board ever so slightly in order to see the red paint as well. It kind of gave it a worn look - which is what I was going for.

This was before the paint had dried and before I applied another coat of black paint.
Once that was completed, I added my phrase "Season's Greetings" to the board. I used a paint pen to make it look extra cool. I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out. I saw on Pinterest, a lot of people made signs like these that said "Merry Mail." If I had seen that, I may have stolen their ideas. It is pretty cute.


After all was dry, I used a glue gun and added ribbon to attach the Christmas cards and a skinny ribbon to hang the sign. As it says in threepartsblessed's blog, a "Command" hook is an awesome invention and should be used for hanging your sign. It comes off clean from your walls at the end of the holiday season. I love them.


And there you have it. This picture was obviously taken at the start of the season. I wanted to allow for ample time to add Christmas cards. This was a great addition to my holiday decor and it was very useful. I think I will decorate the clothespins next, but I haven't taken the time to do that yet.

Anyway, I'd recommend making something like this. It doesn't take too much work and it is oh-so handy if you don't have a way to hang up your cards already.

I'll be posting more before Christmas, but in the meantime, here is a picture of the cuteness that is just a little over a month old that has entered our lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment