Thursday, January 30, 2014

Slow Cooker Chili

This will be a blog post about food. It will not be from a recipe I found on Pinterest, but rather, a recipe of my own design. One that I find to be incredibly tasty and I thought others might appreciate as well. A number of years ago, I was looking for a tasty chili recipe that was quick, easy to make and would be ready when I walked in the door when coming home from work. In the process, I managed to collect a few different recipes from friends and kind of mishmashed it into my own award-winning chili. Ok, it's not award-winning. HOWEVER, many moons ago, my dad entered his chili into a cook-off and it won, so I am believing that I have inherited his chili-making abilities and have found yet another award winning chili. So, without further ado, here's my slow-cooker chili recipe:

Ingredients:

  • 1 pound ground turkey or ground beef
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 (8 oz) can of tomato sauce (not paste!)
  • 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans
  • 1 (15 oz) can pinto beans
  • 2 (15 oz) cans black beans (or your choice, these are just my favorites)
  • 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can corn
  • 1 green pepper, chopped
  • Chili Powder (I don't measure this, probably about a tablespoon - but just to taste)
  • Cumin to taste
  • Salt and Pepper to taste
  • Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
Directions:  Start by browning the meat and onion together. While those are browning, add all other ingredients (except the cheese) into the slow cooker. Once meat has browned, add to slow cooker and stir. Cook on low for 8 hours. Dish up into bowls, add grated cheese and you are good to go!


Right now, I am going dairy and soy free, and as long as you don't add cheese - this meal can be that for you as well! It's tasty, comfort food at its finest. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. I generally make corn bread to go with this meal, but I didn't this time, so it's not very fancy looking. But that's ok. It still tastes super.

PS - have you tried the slow-cooker liners yet? They are truly amazing! I mean, seriously. They are incredible. You can make a pot of chili, throw away the liner and never have to scrub your slow cooker again! It's awesome! If you are interested in getting them, check them out here.





No comments:

Post a Comment