Thursday, April 18, 2013

Baked marbles

This is something I've been wanting to try for a while, but who knew finding marbles would be so hard?! I finally found some cheap marbles at the store and Gabe (my nephew) and I couldn't wait to give this little experiment a try. To find out how to make this, check out the link here.
Photo from Pinterest
Ok, so this is very simple. And, a little tip I learned from the blog (after I'd already bought the marbles), the marbles you will want to use can be found in the floral section of a craft store - you want colored, but clear marbles. Unfortunately, we didn't have any of those marbles, so we went with the next best thing - as solid of a color as we could find in them! We chose blue and white. 

This was before they went in the oven - don't mind the gunky pan...that's for a later Pinterest Test

After they came out of the oven and were put in ice water, they did crack, but you have to look really closely.


I, unfortunately, didn't have a pendant-hangy-thing to glue to the top of these to make them into necklaces or anything, but that's ok - I don't necessarily think they are pretty enough that I'd wear it (or want to give it to anybody) anyway.

The neatest thing about this was the fact that they did break- but only on the inside! They were still marbly-smooth on the outside. In fact, upon further testing by my awesome son, throwing them on the floor didn't even break...er shatter them. Thankfully!

I am looking forward to trying this with solid colored marbles to see if it really is as pretty as it looks from the picture on Pinterest. (I'll update this post once that does happen.) For now, I am very skeptical. Either way, this is a fun little project that Gabe and I both enjoyed and we still have marbles to play with afterward! Score!

No comments:

Post a Comment