Monday, March 4, 2013

Oatmeal Blueberry Applesauce Muffins

Finding a good, healthy breakfast for my son in the morning can be quite challenge...especially if it's not very sugary. So, recently, when I went to a friend's house and my son gobbled up her oatmeal blueberry applesauce muffins, I knew I needed to give it a try. This recipe isn't exactly off of Pinterest, but I know there are other Joy The Baker Blog recipes on Pinterest, so I'm assuming this one is probably out there somewhere as well.

The recipe is very simple, using mostly ingredients that you may already have in your home, other than the low-fat buttermilk. I never seem to have that on hand. But, it's easy enough to get, so that's good.

The only addition I'd make to this recipe, per my friend Katie's recommendation is to add 1 teaspoon of vanilla. I'm not sure what that does, but she knows - and I'm pretty sure it made this recipe 10 times better. In the last batch that I made, I added one banana as well, and that was a nice little twist on the recipe, but it certainly doesn't need it.

My son really enjoys these and the recipe makes a fairly large batch, so we end up freezing them, which also works out beautifully since they freeze and thaw nicely and otherwise they can get moldy fairly quickly if left in a plastic bag on the counter. Yep...I learned the hard way...

This is definitely a must-try recipe. Especially if you have toddlers who want to eat sweet and you want them to eat healthy. This is a great and tasty solution!




No comments:

Post a Comment