Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Berries N Cream Crepes

I've never been fond of crepes. So, when I saw this pin on Pinterest, I was pretty skeptical. I mean, honestly, I didn't even HAVE to try it, my husband doesn't like crepes either. But, something about these looked mouth-watering. And I thought in my head "CHALLENGE....ACCEPTED!" and gave it a try. To check out the recipe, go here


My original plan when getting on Pinterest that fated morning was to find a recipe for homemade pancakes, but a little more unique. So, ohsweetbasil's blog caught my eye with her many delectable recipes - including a pancake recipe. But, we still landed on these fancy-schmancy Berries n Cream Crepes. 

I was curious how difficult it would be to make, but honestly, it was incredibly simple. In fact, I don't know why it's taken me so long to try these, other than, you know, not being crazy about crepes. 

The sweet syrup may have been my favorite part. I used strawberries and boysenberries. 

You really don't need to put much of the batter for the crepes into the frying pan. Especially if you want them to be thin, as crepes normally are. 



The frying pan I used was awesome also, because it had the crepes curling on the sides, making it roll easier. 

I think most people would prefer to have the filling for their crepes oozing out and being super full, but I liked it with just a thin layer of the cream cheese filling inside the crepes. Alas, I have no picture to show the thickness in which I filled the crepes, but it wasn't super thick. 

Lastly, I put the berry syrup on top. It was delightful. I was pleasantly surprised. My husband wasn't. But, he really doesn't like cream cheese. Or crepes. So.... 

But, my mom liked it, my son liked it and I liked it, so I'd call it a success. My lovely friend, Katie, recommended next time not putting the filling in all of them and letting my husband put in whatever filling he wanted (peanut butter, powdered sugar, jam, etc.). So, if you aren't crazy about cream cheese, you could try it out that way and see if you like it better. 

The crepes were a little spongy, and I think I should've put some whipped cream on top and some fresh berries on the side, but more just for looks than anything else. Ha!


There was enough batter that we were able to put some of the batter in the fridge and some pre-made crepes in the fridge as well. The batter made beautiful crepes and the pre-made crepes reheated in the microwave were also quite yummy. So, really, you shouldn't lose with this recipe...unless, you know, you don't like crepes. 

1 comment: