Wednesday, February 26, 2014

PALEO: Miss Piggy Fingers and Kermit Fries

Recently, I discovered that my daughter, my son and I all have a sensitivity to soy. And I've come to also find out that soy is in everything!  So, we've been working on clean eating. If I can make it from scratch, I'm trying. It appears that the majority of the time, the stuff I'm making from scratch just so happens to be paleo-friendly. I found this fun recipe for Miss Piggy Fingers and Kermit Fries and thought I'd give it a try.
Photo from Pinterest

This recipe was so so so yummy. I would highly recommend it. I didn't have incredibly high hopes for it because, let's face it, healthy food is very hard to make tasty. Well, that's what we've been taught to believe anyway. However, this was an experiment that I just couldn't get enough of! Oh. My. Goodness. I'm drooling just thinking about making it again. It was very quick and easy to make and it had excellent flavor and was still healthy.


The recipe calls for 1/4 cup of almond flour/meal, but that is not nearly enough. You will need a whole lot more than that. By the way, I was intimidated by the idea of using almond flour because I'd never even seen anything like it. Mostly because I never looked. If you are looking for this, it will most likely be in the baking section. I found it at Safeway and Natural Grocers. Thankfully, eating clean is becoming far more common, so this type of product isn't too hard to find.

My cousin and her fiancee came to dinner and ate this with us. The zucchini was perfect, the pork was flavorful. I'd highly recommend this recipe. And an added bonus, because I was using bacon grease - we had a few pieces of bacon as appetizers.

Sorry for the fuzzy picture - I was too excited to eat it to take a good one.
I have made the pork a few times now and once, rather than using bacon grease, I used a little bit of olive oil. The flavor from the bacon grease really does make this far more delectable, however, it was still quite good without it - especially if you aren't a bacon lover. (HA!)

So, my three notes on this recipe:
1) Try it! This recipe is a must!
2) Expect to use more almond flour
3) The recipe calls for enough ingredients for this to be an appetizer for 2 people - plan accordingly.

And lastly...no Muppets were harmed in the making of this meal. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment